DHI Technique: One of the best Hair Transplant Method
What is DHI (Direct Hair Transplant) Technique?
In the DHI hair transplant method, the collected hair is planted directly in the area. The tools called “DHI pens” are used in this method, which does not require opening canals beforehand. After we put the hair inside these pens, it implants them directly in the area. By this, because it opens the canals exactly the size of the graft, there are fewer transplantation marks and bleeding.
Features of DHI hair transplant
- It uses the pen nibs specific to the patient and only have one use utilized.
- The DHI Hair Transplant can be performed with a better management of the depth, density and sides.
- The operation is realized with much less pain and bleeding.
- The operations are only performed by specialized hair surgeons.
- Thanks to suitable genetics and insensitivity of DHI, transplanted roots stay forever.
Procedure of DHI Hair Transplant
DHI hair transplantation steps are very similar to FUE hair transplantation except for site creation and graft implantation. DHI Hair Transplantation steps can be summed up:
In this stage patient is physically examined by a doctor. This doctor determines the final hair transplantation plan and hairline design. We hold some physical and oral examinations. In this stage, the doctor can tell you if the DHI method is suitable for the expected results. Blood is taken and sent to the laboratory for the tests. These tests ensure that the patient does not have any medical conditions that prevent him from having surgery.
Before anesthesia normally preparation step involves hair-cutting but in the DHI method, this is optional. The transplantation site is disinfected. This step takes about 30 minutes. Then, local anesthesia is administered either by needle or needleless (if the patient prefers a needle-free Painless Anesthesia Comfort in the system, he will receive virtually no pain during the process.)
In this step, a device called a micro-motor is used to collect hair grafts. Unlike other hair transplantation techniques, there is not a step involving canal opening. These grafts are immediately suitable for transplantation. The collected grafts are examined under the microscope and are grouped according to how many follicles they have.
The hairs are placed and planted to the receiving site by the use of a Choi Implanter Pen. This pen can both open the canal and transplants the hair.
PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) procedure (which strengthens the hair follicles) and the wound dressing are applied.
Post-operative Hair Wash
During 30 days after the surgery, the hair should be washed according to the conditions. After 10 days, the crust will be gone and will speed up the process.
In the arrangement step, as described earlier, grafts are separated according to their follicle number. For the most natural look, one follicle containing grafts should be transplanted into the hair frontline, whereas the others should be transplanted to the banding sites.
Advantages of the DHI Technique
- It is ideal for women since hair shaving is not necessary in the area to be transplanted.
- Although the hair is not shortened, it does not damage the hair around the transplantation area during the DHI hair transplantation.
- Grafts need not be kept outside after the collection. Prevents the risk of hair root death because of waiting.
- Because the Choi pen provides a hair follicle wide canal, bleeding is almost non-existent.
- The operation does not include any incision or sewing processes.
- As the procedure allows the hair follicles to be planted more often, we get a more natural appearance.
- Since the damage caused by the operation is minimal, the healing process is quick.
- As canal carving and root placement can be carried out simultaneously, the plantation phase is shorter.
- The operation does not cause any scars or traces of plantation.
Disadvantages of DHI technique
- The cost is higher than other transplantation techniques.
- The process proceeds slightly slower compared to other transplantation techniques.
- As utmost care and diligence is required for the process, it must be carried out by an expert doctor and team. To be competent in conducting the DHI method, they should take a long training period.
DHI and FUE Techniques: Difference
The choose of hair transplantation technique depends on many factors, such as the number of grafts needed, cost, recovery time, etc. Therefore, when comparing DHI vs Sapphire FUE, telling one method is superior to others will not be true. Many centers using the FUE technique use different devices which affects the results. The most advanced type of FUE is sapphire blade FUE, which uses sapphire blades to open canals. These blades cause less scarring and a more natural look than steel blades using FUE methods. In DHI method instead of blades, CHOI implementer pen is used.
The main difference between the two methods is; During the hair transplantation operation canal opening is not a separate stage in DHI, and it is performed right after the extraction phase. However, if a person needs over 2000 grafts of transplantation, the DHI method cannot be used in one operation. The main advantage of DHI is it has a faster recovery period and no scarring. In the Sapphire FUE method, if the donor area is suitable, it can implement the maximum number of grafts.
DHI Hair Transplant: Recovery and Results
The recovery time is very short after the DHI method. Patients can continue their routine life after the operation. The results show after 6 months following the operation. Usually, the hair on top of the roots that are planted with the process falls off after 2 weeks to 2,5 months, and after 3 months the newly transplanted hair grows. All kinds of hairdressing services should be postponed for 6 months.